“Kat” Miss Jaruwan Singsatorn, 4th year student from the Department of Food and Nutrition, The Faculty of Home Economics Technology, Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi (RMUTT) invented a formula of ivy gourd fruit sauce that any people can do it. The inventor said that ivy gourd grows up on fences, its soft tops are usually brought to cook, for example, scald and steam to eat with shrimp paste or cook soup. Some people bring ivy gourd to pickle then serve with shrimp paste or cook curry. The taste of ripe fruit is sour and sweet. Its fruit contains phosphorus, iron, vitamin C as same as its top and leaf. The squeeze juice of raw fruit can reduce sugar in the blood and diabetes. The nutritional value of 100 grams of ivy gourd contains 20 calories, 5.2 g of carbohydrate, 0.7 g of protein, 25 mg of calcium, 25 mg of phosphorus and 0.6 mg of iron. Ivy gourd is an adding value of product and can be an alternative choice, due to new taste, safety, and no chemical, for sauce lovers.
The ingredients for 600 g of ivy gourd sauce are
– Ripe ivy gourd fruits 1 kg
– Red chili 200 g
– Chopped garlic 200 g
– Cinnamon 1 piece
– Vinegar 150 g
– Sugar 400 g
– Salt 50 g
- Set a pot of water on stove and boil garlic, ripe ivy gourd fruits and red chili together till they are tender.
- Bring ingredients from no.1 to mash on a grating or blend well. (bring seeds out)
- Put vinegar, sugar and salt into a pot and boil till it melts together.
- Put well-blended ingredients into a pot and stew it until it gets sticky. (medium fire, stew around 20 minutes) Notice: the color will turn into red. And cook the taste you like after.
- Pour ivy gourd fruit sauce into clean bottles and close lids well. Then steam them to pasteurize around 30 minutes.
The ivy gourd fruit sauce can be served with fried food such as sausage, fried chicken, or it can be cooked instead of tomato sauce. The sauce can be kept in the room temperature for a month. If the lid is opened, it’s recommended to be kept in the refrigerator. This new product is guaranteed that consumers will satisfy. This product isn’t sold in the market but the formula can be passed on to those interested. It’s guaranteed safe to eat because Asst. Prof. Suchada Ngamprapawat has instructed and examined closely during the invention. For more information, please contact Kat Tel. 085-7440219. She also whispered that the taste is just like tomato sauce
Translated by Mr. Amondech Inkaew